GLUTEN-FREE STRAWBERRY GALETTE WITH JAM
Fresh and sweet filling with a flaky crust that’s home-made. Gluten-free Strawberry Galette with jam is begging to be on your table. Not only is this dessert gorgeous, its relatively easy to make at home. Honestly, this stunning treat is a winner every time.
- Author: Allie
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Yield: 7 slices 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 Pounds Fresh strawberries-sliced into pieces
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 4 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch (make sure the brand is gluten-free)
- 1 Large Egg-well beaten for Egg Wash
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- optional- 1/2 Cup Strawberry or Raspberry jam (preferably without seeds
- 3 Cups Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 1 Cup of Shortening or 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter- use a high quality European style butter which has a higher fat content.
- 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of Whole Milk or Buttermilk-
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add three cups of cup 4 cup flour with the 1 cup of Shortening and 1/2 tsp of salt. Whisk to combine.
- If using the butter, cut into small cubes and using a pastry blender, combine the cubes of butter while still leaving small pieces into the dough. The small chunks of butter will help the crust become flaky.
- Starting with a 1/2 cup of whole milk or buttermilk, start combining with your hands. If this is not enough milk, add 1 more tablespoon at a time until the dough come together and looks shaggy. If the dough sticks together it’s ready. Stop once the mixture starts to come together and look shaggy. It varies between me using a half a cup of milk to a cup of milk.
- Give the dough a pinch-if it sticks together it’s ready. If not, keep repeating until you reach your desired consistency.
- If you find your dough is too wet, add a little bit more gluten-free flour until it is the right consistency.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball. Wrap into a ball and cover in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- If the dough has been in the fridge for several hours, let it sit at room temperature until slightly softened about 10-20 minutes.
- Roll the dough out onto a pastry mat. If your dough immediately starts cracking, it’s too cold. Give it a couple more minutes to warm up.
- Optional-spread the dough with jam, leaving a 1 inch border around the edge. You would need to add the sugar before adding the jam.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar over surface of dough leaving a 2 inch border. Pile strawberries into center of dough and arrange into an even layer leaving 2 inch border.
- If you would like, you can add some mascarpone cheese or strawberry jam before adding the fruit.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes after assembling before putting in the oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until its golden brown.
- Cup 4 Cup gluten-free flour is hands down the best flour to use. I have tried most of the gluten-free flour brands. Cup 4 Cup is the easiest to work with, and creates the best taste and flakiness for crust.
- If you find the galette is browning too quickly, cover with foil.
- Halfway thru cooking turn the galette to other side.
- I used Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening
- Rotate half way thru cooking.
Keywords: Gluten-Free Strawberry Galette, Summer Desserts, Summer, Strawberries, Gluten-Free, Desserts