One of my favorite adult drinks drinks is a Blood Orange Bourbon Smash cocktail. Although this drink may be simple, when prepared correctly its magical. It has subtle flavors of ginger and is loaded with fresh blood orange juice. This Blood Orange Bourbon smash will become your favorite winter cocktail. The piste de resistance is at the end when the glass is rimmed with Demerara sugar.
Bourbon and blood orange work so well together taste wise. This time of year, we are lucky enough to find blood oranges readily available as they are in season. This cocktail is perfect for dinner parties. You can pull this cocktail together in under five minutes and just a few special ingredients.
Blood oranges are one of my favorite citrus fruits to eat and experiment with during the long winters. The most obvious reason being the beautiful color they have. It really does make a gorgeous cocktail.
Bourbon has become a favorite of mine. Most recently, I have definitely been drinking more Bourbon as of late. A few years ago, I can honestly tell you guys that I had never tried bourbon before. I know, I’m shocked too.
I thought the taste would be over-powering or just taste horrible. Boy was I wrong. The first time I had a sip I was in awe. The delicious flavor and the deep rich color had me hooked from day one. So with the love of blood oranges and a new love of bourbon, this blood orange bourbon smash was born.
CAN YOU DRINK BOURBON IF YOU HAVE CELIAC?
Well, the short answer is yes. Pure distilled bourbon, even if it’s made with wheat, barley or rye is considered gluten-free. Most bourbons on the market are safe for people with celiac disease.
It is always a good idea to be on the lookout for hidden gluten in bourbon that add flavorings or other additives after distillation. There can also be a risk for cross-contamination in facilities that process products containing wheat. For more information on gluten free options, check out the Best Gluten Free Pantry Staples.
Some people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity have adverse reactions to spirits distilled with wheat, barley or rye. Many people who do have celiac can have distilled spirits without having any problems at all.
The best advice I can give is always trust your gut. I personally drink bourbon without having any issues. Disclaimer: Gluten Free From Home cannot offer medical advice or say that this Blood Orange Bourbon Smash may or may not affect you if you have celiac or a gluten sensitivity.
WHAT IS BOURBON?
Bourbon is a form of whiskey. It is usually derived from corn, wheat, barley and rye, which of course are the three main gluten grains. One brand of Whiskey that is mostly made of corn is Hudson Whiskey NY. It is made with 95 % corn and 5 % malted barley. It also have hints of vanilla and salted caramel on the finish.
My absolute favorite brand of whiskey is by Makers Mark. It has an aroma of woody oak, caramel and vanilla. The taste is sweet and balanced with a fruity essence. The final finish is smooth and subtle. This is one of the brands that consistently stands by being gluten-free despite it having wheat in it due to the distillation process.
I always have this whiskey on hand. Despite me trying so many different brands of bourbon at different price points, I keep coming back to Makers Mark.
This cocktail is always a crowd pleaser. Mine is extra special by adding a ginger simple syrup and coating the glass withDemerara sugar. The pink color of this cocktail is just spectacular.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR BLOOD ORANGE BOURBON SMASH
- 1 Shot Glass Whiskey Makers Bourbon
- 1 Cup Blood Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger Simple Syrup
- Demerara Sugar to rim glass (optional)
- 2 Tbsp of Blood Orange Italian Soda
- Cocktail shaker
Ginger Simple Syrup is super easy to make. To start, you need fresh ginger root, water and sugar.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR GINGER SIMPLE SYRUP
- 2 inch piece of fresh peeled ginger cut into small coin circles
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Peel the ginger root with a vegetable peeler, and cut into thin rounds.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add the sliced ginger and bring the mixture back up to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup through fine sieve. Discard ginger.
- Keep the syrup refrigerated for a month in a jar or air tight container.
Blood Orange Bourbon Smash
One of my favorite cocktails is a Blood Orange Bourbon Smash cocktail. Although this drink may be simple, when prepared correctly its magical. It has subtle flavors of ginger and is loaded with fresh blood orange juice. This Blood Orange Bourbon smash will become your favorite winter cocktail. The piste de resistance is at the end when the glass is rimmed with Demerara sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 Cup Fresh Blood Orange Juice.
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Simple Syrup. (( I buy mine at Whole Foods when I can. When they don't have it I make at home.))
- 1 Shot Glass Whiskey Makers Bourbon.
- A few Tbsp of sugar on a flat plate Demerara Sugar to rim the glass. (( I put the sugar on a flat plate. I then cut a lemon and coat the top of the glass. I go around a few times in a circular motion to coat the top of the glass.))
- 2 Tbsp Italian Blood Orange Soda
- Ice 6 Ice Cubes for Cocktail Shaker to mix and a shot glass.
- Take the cocktail shaker and put the ice cubes in it. Let it chill for a couple minutes.
- Take 1 cup of the Blood Orange juice and put it into the cocktail shaker.
- Add 1 shot glass of Whiskey Maker's Bourbon. Pour into the cocktail shaker.
- Add 2 Tbsp of Ginger Simple Syrup.
- Take a lemon and coat the top of the cocktail glass. Go around two to three times. Then dip the top of the glass into the sugar.
- I add 2 Tbsp of Italian Blood Orange Soda on the bottom of the cocktail glass for a deeper pink color.
- Then pour in the cocktail mixture into the glasses.
This will make enough for two coupe glass cocktails.
PIN FOR LATER:
SHOP THIS POST-